Thursday, November 24, 2011

William Morris and Pre-Raphaelite puzzles

I recently bought BRITAIN magazine for a special feature on Scotland (for future travel inspiration - more on that as plans take shape) - this issue has an article celebrating 150 years of William Morris. In addition to the editorial, there are a few ads for products with his designs ranging from puzzles to needlepoint. I couldn't find Strawberry Thief offered on Wentworth's site although pictured in the ad (above), but did find a few other Morris favorites, like The Lion from his forest series. Really love this one. There is also at least one Rossetti and a Waterhouse currently on offer. As these puzzles are crafted from wood, they'd certainly provide years of enjoyment.

10 comments:

  1. Oo, how fun! I haven't worked a puzzle in ages, but that would be fun and challenging. My mom and I once worked one that was a gazillion pieces of Christmas candy. So hard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robin - I think Strawberry Thief would be particularly hard too - much like the one you describe, repeating patterns!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love puzzles :D It's the best to do when it's rainy and cold, and the medievalness only makes it better

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cecilie - Absolutely! I long for days like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OOh wonderful, one or maybe three for my Christmas list lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ruthie - indeed, they'd make perfect gives for adults or children!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! I just found a website that highlights tiles fashioned from PreRaphealite and William Morris art. I did a post about it...check it out when you get the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enchanted - thanks for the "heads up". I'll look forward to reading your entry!

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of the greatest designers, EVER,in my opinion. I will look for the PUZZLES! How much fun to put these together over a hot chocolate on a cold winter evening. Oh, the beauty of it all...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jeri - Yes indeed he is! You describe a perfect evening...just add a few cats to that mix.

    ReplyDelete